Author Topic: doubt in modeling a tailoring factory  (Read 5390 times)

Offline eq02089

• View Profile
doubt in modeling a tailoring factory
« on: November 23, 2009, 17:40 »
Good afternoon

First of all, I would like to congradulate for the fantastic software!

I\'ve got a question about modelling with Umberto.

I\'m applying MFA to a tayloring factory, where all the parametres were given, but, has all textile factoryes, some processes are done by others, and then comes back to the \"mother\" to continue processing, and there is no possible way to know the \"outside\" resources gaven. So, when the raw materials go to the external fabricatinons, they cam back as units produced, and, as so, it has neither a quantity based on Kg neither Kj!? is there anyway in Umberto to add a new unit called for example producion or something else!?

And, has anyone done anything similar to an textile factory!?

thank you for your patiente and time

best regards

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: doubt in modeling a tailoring factory
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 07:52 »
Dear eq02089,

thanks for your post and the praise for Umberto, that will motivate us to continue to develop good software.

The situation you describe refers to the outsourcing of production, and can be modeled in Umberto just the same way as if all processes were on site in the textile factory (the inventories for sections of the model will allow you to produce individual inventories for the main production site, as well as for the suppliers, and the overall balance for the textile supply chain).

As for the units, you can define any unit in your Umberto model (see user manual or online help on how to do this). You can define display units based on kg (for mass) or kJ (for energy), such as t, g, sack, pallet, piece (mass) or kWh, Mwh, GJ, TJ, BTU (energy). Also you can define new basic unit (under Options / Materials / Basic Units), if you don\'t wish to calculate with mass or energy. In your case of a textile industry, I can imagine that m² (for area of textile cloth) or m (for length of yarn) could be defined as new basic units. Process consumptions and emissions are then defined in regard to area of tissue/cloth being produced.  

I think that University of Wuppertal has worked with Umberto in the textile industry, and you might want to do a search on publications for this.

Regards,
------------------------
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
myUmberto Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH