Author Topic: Problems calculating cml with a raw sugar model  (Read 594 times)

Offline vdiazr

• View Profile
Problems calculating cml with a raw sugar model
« on: February 15, 2017, 18:48 »
Hi There,

I'm modeling the manufacture chain for non centrifuged sugar in Colombia. I have set up all the phases (8 processes) of my model and calculated the total flows in order to check its consistency, everything seems to be ok. But at the moment that I calculate cml, the inputs and outputs of the calculation don't take into account the materials used in several phases (processes) of my model. I don't know what to do to get a proper calculation of the potential impacts of this production chain, in which all of the materials are included.

Also, as the cooking of the raw sugar uses bagasse as a fuel, I have included the CO2 emissions of the combustion process as outputs of the processes that require heat, but as it seems, Umberto is not adding these emissions to the cml calculation. What should I do to have these values included in the calculations?

I do hope someone can help me.

Thanks a lot.

kindly,

Vanesa

Offline mprox

• View Profile
Re: Problems calculating cml with a raw sugar model
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 21:22 »
Dear Vanesa,

thank you for your request. Did you use ecoinvent materials and ecoinvent processes during your modelling of the pre chains  and direct emissions?

If not, meaning in case you created new materials maybe with spanish names, this might be the reason for an incomplete LCIA result. The easiest way to solve the problem is to ensure that you use materials at the system boundaries of your model that are included in the ecoinvent material database.

Without knowing the model it is a bit vague to provide you advice. Do you use Umberto at a University?
if so, who is the professor you work with?

Kind regards,
Martina
Best Regards / Herzliche Grüße

Martina Prox
ifu Hamburg