Author Topic: Assigning the reference flow to a net parameter  (Read 3609 times)

Offline vnorberg

• View Profile
Assigning the reference flow to a net parameter
« on: June 10, 2015, 13:13 »
Good day,

imagine a process plant that produces a product at lab scale being brought up in industrial scale. As the production volume increases, the processes changes. My plan is to model this with help from a Net Parameter, deciding how the process will look like for different production volumes.

Ex. Process optimization when production above or equal 1000 pieces; then 3 of an input instead of 4.
IF(>=(Product_Out, 1000), 3, 4)

How can I assign the reference flow (the product) a net parameter that I can use in the model (Product_Out)?
Alternatively how can decide the Reference Flow to be dependent ona Net Parameter Product_Out where I decide the amount.

Thank you,

Victor Norberg

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 16:05 by vnorberg »

Offline pbeilschmidt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning the reference flow to a net parameter
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 16:34 »
Hello Victor,

whoa! Your request is like a ride on the wayback machine and kicked me on a time warp years back. Good to see that my Umberto 5 started up right away  :D

As for your first question how to do the operator "larger or equal than" (>=) ... I don't remember at the moment. One of my colleague may be able to answer that.

I can just comment on the second part: What you would like to do is define a parameter or flow with an IF-clause and set the value "3" or "4" depending on the quantity of "Product_Out".
The best way to do it would be using scripting, I think. But I tried to tackle it using the Input Monitor.

Please see the attached screenshots. I defined an entry for a flow in the Input Monitor. It points to an arrow (tab "Referenced Arrow"). This entry is set to Data Source "Function" instead of "User Input". I used your formula "IF(>(POut, 1000), 3, 4)" in the function field (note: for simplicity sake only a "larger" rather than a "larger or equal than" operator).
I also shortened "Product_Out" to "POut" ... not sure, but I think there is a limit to the length of the name.

Next, I defined a second entry in the Input Monitor, this time for a parameter. Here I entered "POut" in the "Var" field. The value is the flow quantity I want to manipulate. This entry does not have a reference into the model. Instead the value is used only in the  above function evaluation.

After setting a value for POut I have to click the "Set Input Vector" button. The trial shows that "1005" yields a "3", and - in a second test using "995" yields a "4".

This little exercise was just out of curiosity. I am sure some of the long-time power users can add more (and better solutions).

Have you tried to solve this in Umberto NXT. Function definition is much more straight forward, and no need to run an "Input Monitor" any more.

Best,
Peter
------------------------
Peter Müller-Beilschmidt
myUmberto Moderator
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline tbusse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:39 »

As for your first question how to do the operator "larger or equal than" (>=) ... I don't remember at the moment. One of my colleague may be able to answer that.

Please make sure you are using the correct net parameter identifier (per default these are named N00, N01, ...). If Product_Out is a discrete parameter your can use this term:

X01 = IF(>(N00,999),3,4)

otherwise you can use the following term:

X01 = IF(OR(>(N00,1000),=(N00,1000)),3,4)

Kind regards,

Thorsten
--
Thorsten Busse
ifu Hamburg GmbH

Offline vnorberg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 16:50 »
Hello Peter and Thorsten,

thank you very much for your answers. The problem with the operator did I even manage to figure out myself after a while (proud).
Unfortunately I haven´t got any further with the manual flow problem. Since I am working with NXT, I am a bit lost regarding the Input monitor as you speak of. I am sorry I didn't clearify that from the beginning.
Attached you can see three picture. What I would like to do is to have the flow "sugar" as a manual flow of 1,2 g, as seen in picture "Manual flow" and "Lyophilisation". As seen in the picture "Net parameter" I have a parameter called G_Out, which is exactly the amount of output for "Sugar".
How do I make the value of the manual flow to be the same value of G_Out, or vice versa? When you define the amount of manual flow, the box "function" is not available as for other parameters (I cannot assign "manual flow sugar = G_Out") . And neiter can I assign the manual flow a global parameter so that I can use "G_Out = manual flow sugar".

Thank you very much for your help,

Victor Norberg

Offline uniquename

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:43 »
Hi Victor,

Using net parameters to specify the manual flow directly is not possible as you can't use functions for the manual flow. You could use a workaround though.

Do you use LiveLinks in your model? If you do, you could use a LiveLink to specify the manual flow. That would be my preferred solution. Would that be an option for you as well or is it important to you to use the Net Parameters?

Have a nice day!